background

Thursday, July 7, 2011

A Blast from My Fashion Design Past
















Tonight I thought it would be fun to share a bit of my artistic past. Before I had children, I worked for a major US retailer in their product development department. I managed their computer aided design and apparel specification system. I was responsible for building their sketch data base, training their staff how to use the software, and supporting the software help desk. They would illustrate apparel and send sketches, measurements and materials specifications overseas for bids from manufacturers.


I loved illustrating the apparel. This form of sketching is known as flat sketching. I miss the software we used! It has some powerful tools! One of my favorites could be used to draw lace along the edge of a garment, regardless of the shape it had to fit! You only had to illustrate one repeat of the lace and then tell the computer how many repeats or the size of the lace and it drew the lace along the length of the garment.


I am attaching some scanned illustrations I drew myself. I loved illustrating the children's wear and lingerie! There are two romper and a quilted jacket. I also miss their stitching tool!

1 comment:

  1. Wow Clare that's so impressive! At first glance, I thought they were digi stamps.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails