background

Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Where's Clare?! In the Garden


I have been slow to post this week, because I have been trying to clean up my flower bed in the back yard. It is about 25 feet by 4 feet and I have no edging around it, so I have to clean the edges with my sod cutter and pay for neglecting it last year. But, I did want to show you one of my favorite plants in this bed: Shimadain Purple Tree Peony (the color is really more fuschia). My Mother in Law got this for my birthday one year on clearance for $9.00. I love this perennial! If your zone allows tree peonies, do it! They do say that they need a protected location, and let me tell you living on the prarie you can lose your flowers the first day they bloom to the wind! So, if you live in a windy area, you may want to find a sheltered spot. Here is my yellow one and it is a bit more fragile than the purple variety.
The yellow variety is called Golden Bird and has the scent of lemons. These pictures are from 2007 and 2009, and bloomed in May so I am still waiting. It has been a warm spring, so they may bloom early this year, and I will have to keep an eye on the weather for frost until mid May!

1 comment:

  1. OMGosh these are beautiful! I used to live in Las Vegas and the only thing you could grow there worth anything were roses and now I live in Kentucky and I can grow just about anything and FINALLY I can grow Peonies, which I've always Loved, these colors are Amazing! I'll have to keep my eye open for these colors.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails