background

Sunday, April 25, 2010

Crafting with Penny Duncan and SVG Cuts


I love freebies! Here are two of my favorite resources for free files: Penny Duncan Designs (you can leave Penny a tip) and SVGCuts. I used a frame file from Penny and the inside lace file is from SVGCuts. Here's what I did:

I imported Penny's frame file (see photo above) into SCAL2 and broke it apart. I deleted the inside frames that I did not want in Penny's file. I imported the svg cuts lace file (photo below) and scaled to just over the inside edge of Penny's frame.
I did a preview and the entire file looked grey. NOT working! I share this because, sometimes when at first you don't succeed, you must try, try again! Also, if you like this cut, it is not made with my creations but you can get the cut files and make it yourself using these steps (below).
Then, I opened Inkscape and tried again. I opened Penny's frame file and broke it apart. I deleted the inside pieces I did not want. I imported the SVG cut lace and scaled it to fit just over the inside edge of Penny's frame. I selected both pieces and did a Path Union. And walla, it worked. I saved the file, imported into SCAL2 and it cut like a dream!
So, now a bit more about the free files. For SVG Cuts free files, sign up for their newsletter and you will get regular email notices. This is a store, so they will be trying to sell you their files. I have found that I do shop there and their files are generous with cuts, reasonably priced, they are well executed and very professional. Penny Duncan Creations has free files and files for purchase as well. You can also leave a tip (money) for Penny's files. Penny's files are also well executed and very professional. I also love Penny's design aesthetic, layering, and attention to detail. What a wonderful source for design inspirations. Thanks Penny and SVG Cuts!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails