- Hosting a weekly challenge kept me accountable to others. Knowing people were following my blog and Facebook group weekly, kept me working on my projects.
- Hosting the challenge helped me find a way to get it done. I have had lots of things on my UFO and craft bucket list and the challenges helped me overcome road blocks. For example, I have always wanted to make a quotes to live by album and started collecting quotes years ago. It wasn't until this year that it occurred to me that I could make it part of my planner. Now I have some of these quotes in an album format and I love my planner!
- Sometimes the best way to accomplish a goal is by helping others. In my early years of being a stay at home Mom, I joined a Mom's group. They had a speaker who shared that the best way to find a friend was to be a friend I think this concept worked for getting my UFO's done too! The best way to get my UFO's done was to help other's get their projects done.
- Put it on your calendar! So, the weekly challenge kept me on task because I knew on Monday's I needed to figure out my next weeks theme and decide which project fit the theme. I knew I had to start working on the project and write my posts by Friday. I scheduled crops out of the house so I could get work done too.
- Creating and working on projects is more fun with friends! The UFO challenge group on Facebook really helped to motivate me. Thanks to everyone who participated and shared photos there!
- Better late than never! Some of my posts were made after Sunday and that's ok because I kept working on the UFO's!
- It's OK if you don't finish them all. Sometimes we don't have time for our projects. They may be too large for our free time, or life may just be too busy. I did not post for three Sundays in December, because I was just too busy with the holidays or was working on gifts. I didn't want the recipients to see these gift photos on my FB or blog feeds. And one of my biggest projects; a quilt did not get pulled out of the fabric closet at all.
Sunday, January 8, 2017
What I Learned Hosting a Year of Challenges
This past year, I decided to host a weekly challenge all year long in an attempt to finish my UFO's or Un Finished Objects. Every Sunday, except some December Sundays, I posted a Themed challenge inspired by traditional Wedding Anniversary gifts. I had a few prizes and a few participants. Here is what I learned from my year of challenges: