background

Friday, April 5, 2019

Future Friday: Using digital Books with Your Child


Have you tried digital books for your child?  I would encourage parents to give this a try and determine if digital books fit their child's need and reading habits, and I have listed some pros and con below.

Advantages:

  1. Easy to acquire!  I love that I can down load a book at bedtime for my children or myself and don't have to leave the house.
  2. Long books don't discourage the reluctant reader.  I have students who would like to read books like Harry Potter, but they see the size of the books and refuse to take them off the shelf or check them out.  Children who check out or buy a digital book don't realize how long the book may be.
  3. Portable!  As a parent I often would check out 8 books hoping my child would choose two.   Carrying 8 books home or on vacation can be heavy, so I love the digital books portability factor!
  4. Cheaper Books!  Kindle books are usually much cheaper than hard copy books.
  5. They may promote reading.  Some children will be excited about reading on a tablet and you may find that is one of the only ways they will read.
  6. Small size.  You can now keep a large library without needing to make space in your home!

Disadvantages:

  1. They may inhibit reading.  Research has shown that children prefer physical books, so this may keep some children from reading enough.  Digital books shouldn't be the only source of reading for your child, just an option for certain needs and or circumstances.  Watch for beginning readers with older siblings who regularly hear chapter books.  These children may find entry level readers boring and struggle to get started reading themselves.  You will need to find entry level readers that capture their interest and are enjoyable.  I found this happened with my youngest (because I read chapter books to them and we used audio books) and worked with my local librarian to find some great early readers.
  2. They may change your child's and or family's reading habits.  I was so exited to have an e-reader a few Christmases ago that it took me several months to realize, it stopped me from taking my children to the local library for their books.  Keep your library visits going even when downloading digital books!
  3. Selection is limited.  Not every book is available in audio form at your library or through your subscription service.  Be sure to keep reading a variety of books not available in digital format.
  4. Your child may be distracted by games and apps on the tablet.  If your child reads digital books on an iPad or Amazon Fire tablet, there are other apps on these tablets, so your child may be tempted to play instead of read.  Consider a reading devoted tablet like the Paper White Kindle from Amazon to prevent this.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails